Thursday, January 28, 2010

Blogging Code of Ethics

One of the first things I would like to do on my corporate blog is set up a code of ethics. This code is something that I as the author will abide by when I write. For professional bloggers like myself it is important to set forth a code of ethics to foster trust with the readers. I would encourage all professional blogs to have their own set of policies to abide by. They should be unique to that organization or individual depending on what is seen as important to them. For this blog I will be using the MIS 2200 code of ethics that my teacher has provided.

Code of Ethics
1. I will tell the truth and separate fact from opinion.
2. I will write deliberately and with accuracy, and all writing will be my own.

3. I will acknowledge and correct mistakes promptly.

4. I will preserve the original post, using notations to show where I have made changes, as to maintain the integrity of all respectful publishing.

5. I will never delete a classmate’s post.

6. I will report inappropriate content to the professor.

7. I will reply to comments when appropriate, and do so at least weekly.

8. I will strive for high-quality posts, avoiding all fatal errors.

9. I will stay on topic.

10. I will disagree with other opinions respectfully.

11. I will cite and link to online references and original source materials directly.

12. I will disclose and avoid conflicts of interest; i.e., political, sales, or social agendas.

13. I will keep sensitive issues and topics private, since discussing private issues may jeopardize my personal and academic relationships.


Although this may seem like a lot of information, it is something that can help keep a blog going in the right direction and gain some trust from readers. Basically, it helps to create a more professional appearance in a blog by trying to avoid some of the pitfalls that can be created in professional blogging. Codes of ethics are a great way to show the values that you will incorporate in blogging.

Information about this topic was found at http://blogs.forrester.com/groundswell/2004/11/blogging_policy.html

No comments:

Post a Comment